Accelerator Controls User Experience Developer Industrial Placement
UK Research and Innovation
🚀 Placement Program
AI generated summary
- As an Accelerator Controls User Experience Developer Industrial Placement, you will be responsible for prototyping new UI features, adapting them based on user feedback, upgrading the RONA backend to work with EPICS control software, and solving problems that arise during control system upgrades.
- The ISIS Neutron and Muon Source is located at the Rutherford Appleton Laboratory in Oxfordshire and is used for world-leading research in material and biological sciences. Large quantities of diagnostic and control data is generated during the operation of the ion-source, linear accelerator, and synchrotron.
- The Accelerator Controls team is responsible for the collection and dissemination of all data related to the control and status of the accelerator. We use this data to support the crew in the ISIS main control room (MCR), who use the software we develop to monitor and control the ISIS particle accelerators.
- Currently enrolled on an undergraduate degree course
- Are required or have requested to take an industrial placement year
- Able to commence employment in summer 2024
- Have the right to live and work in the UK for the duration of the placement
- A software development or computing discipline
- Ability to work with other developers in a team
- Ability to adapt based on feedback from other developers and users
- Good communication and interpersonal skills
- Evidence of interest in web technologies and development frameworks, e.g. React
- Knowledge of databases of any kind (e.g. SQL, NoSQL or time-series databases)
- Experience with version control, e.g. git, and software development best practice
Area of Responsibilities
Research & Development
- Previous industrial placement students have developed Rona, a web-based alarm viewer. Rona helps the MCR crew quickly identify and tackle problems. However, we are now upgrading to a new controls system called EPICS and Rona needs to adapt to work with both old and new systems. We have many ideas for new features to improve Rona and its experience for our users. These new features will require frontend work and the upgrade to EPICS and other work will require backend changes, so you will have the opportunity to develop the skills of a full-stack web developer. You will:
- Prototype and demonstrate new UI interface features in Rona.
- Adapt these features based on feedback from the crew and other users.
- Upgrade the RONA backend to interface with our new EPICS control software.
- In addition, other web-based projects may arise as our control systems upgrade reveals opportunities and problems to solve.
Oct 29, 2023