Cost Advisory Intern (Available June 2024) - New York
🚀 Summer Internship
AI generated summary
- The candidate must be a current student pursuing a Bachelor's degree in Engineering, Construction Management, Economics, Business or Finance, Organizational Psychology, Computer Science, Logistics, or a similar field. They should have a strong interest in infrastructure project development, knowledge of basic business concepts, proficiency in MS Excel and the ability to prioritize and organize effectively. Strong interpersonal and communication skills, analytical mindset, and a passion for working in the energy, infrastructure, or ESG sectors are also required. Eligibility to work in the US without employer-sponsored work authorization is a must.
- As a Cost Advisory Intern at Arup in New York, you will collaborate with design professionals, analyze construction projects, evaluate different options, perform financial modeling, work with a team, read blueprints, develop cost estimates, support new projects, interact with clients, and present findings.
Applications are closed
- At Arup we’re dedicated to sustainable development and to do socially useful work that has meaning. Our purpose, shared values and collaborative approach has set us apart for over 75 years, guiding how we shape a better world.
- We solve the world's most complex problems and deliver what seems impossible, with curiosity and creativity. We’re a thriving and growing organization which offers you many possibilities to shape a better world, and your future.
- We’re looking for current students who are curious and ready to evolve how you think and work. Our strength comes from how we respect, share and connect our diverse experiences, perspectives and ideas. At Arup, you belong to an extraordinary collective – in which we encourage individuality to thrive. If you can share your knowledge and ideas and encourage others to do the same; whilst having a desire to deliver excellent services for clients – we’d like to hear from you.
- Currently pursuing a Bachelor's degree in Engineering, Construction Management, Economics, Business or Finance, Organizational Psychology, Computer Science, Logistics or similar with coursework in Engineering, Economics, Business and/or applied math/sciences.
- Strong interest in infrastructure project development, delivery and/or operations
- Knowledge of basic business and operational concepts
- Strong quantitative skills with good knowledge of MS Excel.
- Proficient in MS Office suite.
- The ability to prioritize effectively, balance assigned work and exceptional organization skills required for our constantly evolving environment
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills essential for team-based working
- Presentation skills with colleagues and clients at all levels
- Analytical mindset and/or Strategic thinker
- Willingness to travel both domestically and internationally
- Strong proficiency in a technical or consulting area derived from professional experience (design, construction, development, owner/public sector, technical consulting, investment banking, management consulting, etc);
- Excellent presentation and writing skills are required. Advanced capability with Microsoft Office Suite
- Outstanding quantitative and analytical skills.
- Strong interest in and passion for working in the energy, infrastructure or ESG sectors
- Candidate must be eligible to work in the US without the need for employer sponsored work authorization now or in the future to be considered for this role
- Pursing a Master's degree Construction Management, Economics, Business or Finance, Organizational Psychology, Computer Science, Logistics or similar
- Bilingual (Spanish or Portuguese with English)
- Familiarity with project management tools and techniques
- Flexibility and Out-of-the-Box innovative thinking
Area of Responsibilities
Construction & Surveying
- Collaborate with design professionals, project stakeholders, and relevant parties to understand the scope and impact of proposed projects.
- Prepare various analyses such as cost estimating, scheduling, risk modeling, and constructability assessments of proposed projects.
- Collaborate with design professionals to identify opportunities and efficiencies within a construction project, be able to evaluate different construction options and develop a variety of solutions for a project.
- Outreach with the construction industry to understand complex methods for building projects such as bridges, tunnels, highways, and tall buildings.
- Familiarize oneself with a variety of construction software and perform analysis e.g. Primavera, HCSS, Revit, AutoCad, Microstation.
- Excel financial modeling will be required and a large part of how one presents their analysis.
- Work with a team of engineers and consultants to understand the impacts and cost of labor, material and other resources for a project.
- Understand how to read and analyze blueprints digitally and manually. Perform quantity take-offs.
- Develop high-level and detailed construction cost estimates.
- You will support the team in the development and assessment of business cases for new energy and/or infrastructure projects, working with developers, financiers, state and local agencies.
- Work with clients in activities such as client meetings, presentations, workshops etc.
- Request, manage and review relevant project data, studies, plans, and contextual issues;
- Prepare analyses, draw conclusions, make recommendations;
- Assist in presentations of the above to satisfy client needs and goals