Deuteration Chemistry Industrial Placement
UK Research and Innovation
🚀 Placement Program
AI generated summary
- The candidate must be currently enrolled in an undergraduate degree course, eligible for an industrial placement year, able to work in the UK, have experience in synthetic chemistry techniques and analysis, and be familiar with chemical databases and laboratory safety protocols. Desirable skills include knowledge of polymer chemistry and previous laboratory experience. A CV and cover letter addressing suitability for the position are required.
- The candidate will oversee project operations, conduct analysis of reaction outcomes, participate in experimental design and troubleshooting, document research findings, and assist in maintaining facility safety and functionality.
- Polymer science plays a crucial role with diverse applications spanning industries like materials, medicine, and electronics. In recent times, the use of deuterated monomers in polymer research has emerged as a promising approach, offering distinct advantages through neutron scattering experiments. Neutron scattering provides indispensable insights into the atomic-level structural and dynamic information, and the unique contrast between deuterium and hydrogen allows for precise analysis of polymer systems.
- This project aims to focus on developing methodologies for deuterated monomers, particularly vinyl-type and acrylates, while exploring their polymerization and evaluating the performance of resulting deuterated polymers. The placement student will have the valuable opportunity to collaborate with experienced researchers, gain hands-on laboratory experience, and develop critical research skills, all of which will undoubtedly enhance their future career prospects within the scientific community.
- Currently enrolled on an undergraduate degree course
- Are required or have requested to take an industrial placement year
- Able to commence employment in summer 2024
- Have the right to live and work in the UK for the duration of the placement
- Common synthetic chemistry techniques for setting up and working up the reaction
- Experience with monitoring reaction and analysing the outcome, e.g. TLC, NMR, GCMS
- Experience with standard purification techniques e.g. recrystallization, distillation, chromatography
- Experience with chemical databases, e.g. Scifinder, Reaxys, Web of Science
- Good organisational skills and keen to learn new techniques
- Familiar with COSHH and risk assessments
- Knowledge and practical experience with polymer chemistry
- Knowledge of good laboratory practice gained from previous laboratory experience.
- Please note we can only accept a maximum of 2 applications per candidate.
- Part of our application process involves submitting your CV and a cover letter. Your cover letter should address your suitability for the opportunity based on how you meet each essential criteria stated in this advert.
Area of Responsibilities
Research & Development
- Overseeing day-to-day project operations, including meticulous maintenance of laboratory notebooks and management of associated COSHH and risk assessments.
- Conducting comprehensive analysis of reaction outcomes using standard analytical tools such as NMR, IR, GCMS, and LCMS.
- Actively participating in experimental design, analysis, and effective troubleshooting.
- Thoroughly documenting research findings and presenting comprehensive reports during internal and external meetings.
- Assisting the ISIS Deuteration Facility Manager in maintaining and ensuring safety, cleanliness, and functionality of facilities.
- Proactively upholding stringent Health and Safety standards within the laboratory setting.
Oct 29, 2023