Development Engineer (Summer Intern)
Mission Zero Technologies
🚀 Summer Internship
🤑 £28K - £32K
- You have the opportunity to join MZT at a pivotal point in our company's history - our transition from an early-stage R&D startup into a product-offering, revenue-generating company poised to rapidly scale our direct-air capture technology across the world.
- MZT can offer you a summer placement in engineering to add to your growing skills as an engineering student or student about to graduate in engineering: preparing you for the world of engineering in the emergent clean tech industry.
- You will learn from all members of the Delivery team and our engineering partners across Process, Mechanical, Electrical, Control and Structural engineering disciplines as well as exposure to the Project Management team and our highly skilled in-house R&D labs. Throughout you will gain hands-on experience with our technology.
- The Summer Placement will be centred around our headquarters in East-Central London, but with periodic day/week assignments to our various emerging UK sites, and potentially European suppliers.
- Our vision for our early stage employees is that they own the business with us (literally), grow it with us and become part of the collective story of Mission Zero, taking a catalytic role in its early history and the fight against climate change.
Area of Responsibilities
- Build familiarity with our technology and approach;
- Assisting with finalisation of deployment plan for our 50 te/year research units to and 250 te/year pilot plant;
- Participate in pre-commissioning safety reviews;
- Assist with the pre-commissioning and commissioning of our research unit;
- Contribute to growing our positive, people-centred culture where all opinions and heard and valued;
- Take direction from the Engineering team in your day-to-day focus and be willing to adapt and learn to multiple tasks outside your comfort zone.
- Applying fundamental engineering knowledge to review and revise component heat & material balances, comparing against real experimental results.
During the placement you will assist in the final stages of deployment of our first-of-a-kind DAC (Direct from Air CO2 Capture) technology offerings. Theses include:
- Research & Development unit for University of Sheffield (50 teCO2/y removal)
- Pilot Plant for UK Government, create carbon negative building materials (250 teCO2/y removal)
- A degree due to be completed June 2023 or part-complete degree of any chemical, process, electrical, electronic, mechanical, civil, nuclear, or environmental engineering discipline;
- A passion for developing technical solutions for the world's greatest challenges;
- Evidenced strong practical skills, comfortable with both hands-on work and desk-based tasks.
- An ability to perform independent research when working with ambiguity or incomplete data sets to arrive at an appropriate answer;
- Awareness of process safety hazards and risk identification;
- Basic understanding of fundamental electrochemistry principles and background absorption chemistry knowledge.
- A sense of humour
- Climate oriented
- Previous industry experience e.g. other summer placement(s)
- Familiarity with GAs (General Arrangement Drawings), 3D models, typical engineering deliverables including Process Flow Diagrams, Piping & Instrumentation Diagrams, Single Line Diagrams etc.
- Technical awareness of HAZID, HAZOP, SIL, LOPA.
- Exposure to process unit operations and mechanical packaged systems.
- Interest or relevant university project / research experience working with electrodialysis / electrolytic processes and/or absorption, scrubbing, continuous gas-liquid systems, compression, liquefaction.
- Experience designing, running and supporting research scale pilot plants.
- Experience in CAD, e.g. AutoCad, Solidworks.
- Desire to work towards Chartered engineering status with IChemE, IMechE, IEEE, IET, InstMC or equivalent.
- Above industry standard holiday (30 days vs 22-25) pro rata
- Unlimited mental health support
- Monthly rewilding donation on your behalf