Experimental Laser Scientist Industrial Placement
UK Research and Innovation
🚀 Placement Program
AI generated summary
- The candidate must be an enrolled undergraduate student, eligible for an industrial placement, with a strong academic background in physics or chemistry, practical laboratory experience, problem-solving skills, and the ability to work independently and as part of a team. They should have good communication skills, a responsible approach to health and safety, and ideally have A-levels in physics, chemistry, and maths, as well as computer programming and research experience.
- The candidate will work alongside scientists and engineers, assisting with experimental setup and problem-solving for visiting scientists, operating advanced laser and vacuum systems, and working on specific projects to develop the facility.
- STFC’s incredibly diverse range of placements allow you to work alongside world leading engineers, scientists, and technicians in highly collaborative environments. Whichever you choose, you will become a critical member of the team in which you will be exposed to exciting projects and challenges from the start. You will be supported every step of the way by our dedicated Early Careers Development Team who will also ensure you benefit from a range of personal development opportunities.
- Currently enrolled on an undergraduate degree course
- Are required or have requested to take an industrial placement year
- Able to commence employment in summer 2024
- Have the right to live and work in the UK for the duration of the placement
- First two years of degree course in physics, chemistry or a closely related subject, with grades corresponding to a 2:1 or higher
- GCSE English or equivalent
- Experimental physics, chemistry, or closely related laboratory course
- Ability to apply knowledge of science to solve problems
- Understanding relevant fundamental principles from their university course
- Highly motivated
- Able to work independently and as part of a team
- Effective communication skills
- Good problem-solving skills
- Responsible approach to health and safety
- A-levels in one or more of the following. Physics, Chemistry, Maths, Further Maths
- Computer programming and/or data analysis skills
- Experience working in a research or laboratory environment
Area of Responsibilities
- A placement position working within the Artemis Group alongside staff and visiting scientists is being offered, with an emphasis on ultrafast science based on extreme ultraviolet laser pulses. You will be trained to work with state-of-art ultrafast lasers, various optics, large-scale vacuum systems, advanced instrumental control and data analysis.
- Together with staff scientists and engineers, you will be helping visiting scientists and students from UK and international research groups with setting up experiments and solving problems as they occur. You will also have specific projects, both on your own and as part of the team, to help develop the facility.
Oct 29, 2023