Internship - Reviewer Recognition Programme - 12 Weeks Fixed Term
- This is an exciting opportunity to gain depth knowledge of a critically important function in scholarly publishing – peer review. While the benefits for the researcher for undertaking peer review of journal articles are multiple, many are suffering from ‘reviewer fatigue’.
- Reviewer fatigue is defined as the difficulty an editor faces in recruiting reviewers, who may feel overwhelmed by receiving excessive invitations to evaluate manuscripts. It can be the biggest barrier to timely publication and contributes to a poor author experience
- This internship will allow the successful candidate to undertake work which will have a significant and positive real world impact on Emerald's current workflows.
Area of Responsibilities
Research & Development
- Action recommendations from recent qualitative research undertaken with Emerald’s editors and peer reviewer communities to identify improvements to our ways of working that will help deliver an improved author experience leading to greater retention/repeat authorship.
- Input and further develop work that has been undertaken on reviewer pools.
- Support the findings of the Research Integrity audit and actions recommendations to support the peer review process.
- Carry out desk research to review the peer review experience offered by competitors, present these findings back to the Publishing and Content Solutions senior leadership teams and, time pending, help action them.
- Review existing guidance material developed and make suggestions for additional support materials
- Pilot any changes and monitor success on a journals subset before further rollout.
- Strong organisational and problem-solving skills
- Good communication skills
- Critical thinking ability
- Be a team player
- A desire to learn about publishing processes and the wider industry
- You’ll accrue holiday on a pro-rata basis, enjoy remote flexible working, and various benefits aimed at supporting your wellbeing and work-life balance.