Masters or PhD Paid Internship – Public Affairs, Politics team
🚀 Summer Internship
⌛ 5d left
Apply by Jun 5
- Ipsos Public Affairs are the leaders in social research and evaluation. We bridge the gap between government and the public, providing robust research and analysis. We cover broad issues that shape the delivery of public services in modern society and how to engage the public in the policy-making process.
- This is an exciting opportunity for a candidate with strong analytical and statistical skills that has an interest and passion to work in data science within the UK’s most established political pollster.We work on a range of topics including political attitudes and voting behaviour, social attitudes, public services, levelling up.
- We are ideally looking for a PhD candidate or post-doc fellow for a short-term summer internship (minimum 4 weeks), though we can be flexible with start dates and duration. We welcome suggestions on how to support publication of a paper to showcase your achievements during the placement.
Area of Responsibilities
- Developing advanced statistical models using small area estimation & MRP techniques with senior analytics guidance.
- Manipulating data and data processing, preferably in R, though other packages available.
- Collating and manipulating primary and secondary datasets, including census, official statistics data and administrative data to help build an appropriate model.
- Developing quality assurance procedures to validate model results and predictions.
- Developing technical documental and user guides for future users.
The statistical analysis will help provide local insight to national problems. This includes identifying hotspots, evaluating change over time, or judging the success of interventions. You will have the opportunity to present your work to senior researchers and leadership teams and help scope the future development and application of advanced statistics in public policy research.
This role is well suited for someone with strong analytical skills and an interest in public policy and/or politics. We are looking for someone with:
- Strong analytical skills and an interest in data science
- Proficiency in statistical software such as R, STATA, or Python
- Minimum requirement of Masters or PhD with a strong statistical emphasis, such as political science, economy, sociology, psychology etc.
- Experience (commercial or academic) with statistical techniques such as MRP, small area estimation, multilevel models, GLM regression
- An understanding of UK administrative geographies is an asset
- Results orientated, ability to manage deadlines and time effectively
- Ability to find creative and innovative solutions for complex and varied problems
- Good attention to detail
- Ability to work independently and as part of a team
- Interest in public policy and social research
- Must hold the right to work in the UK for the duration of the internship