Mechanical Engineering Intern (Available June 2024) - New York
🚀 Summer Internship
AI generated summary
- The candidate must be a current student pursuing a Bachelor's or Master's degree in Mechanical, Architectural Engineering, or a related field, with coursework in heat transfer, thermodynamics, fluid dynamics, or HVAC design. They should have a developing interest in the built environment, proven leadership experience, strong communication and presentation skills, and the ability to work well in a team. Preferred qualifications include a minimum GPA of 3.0, the Fundamentals of Engineering examination, membership in relevant industry organizations, coursework in energy/thermal modeling and sustainability, advanced computational modeling skills, and proficiency in programming languages.
- The candidate will be responsible for designing sustainable HVAC systems, collaborating with a variety of professionals, performing engineering analysis and modeling, documenting designs in Revit MEP, communicating technical ideas, and prioritizing and organizing work in a constantly evolving environment.
- At Arup we’re dedicated to sustainable development and to do socially useful work that has meaning. Our purpose, shared values and collaborative approach has set us apart for over 75 years, guiding how we shape a better world.
- We solve the world's most complex problems and deliver what seems impossible, with curiosity and creativity. We’re a thriving and growing organization which offers you many possibilities to shape a better world, and your future.
- We’re looking for current students who are curious and ready to evolve how you think and work. Our strength comes from how we respect, share and connect our diverse experiences, perspectives and ideas. At Arup, you belong to an extraordinary collective – in which we encourage individuality to thrive. If you can share your knowledge and ideas and encourage others to do the same; whilst having a desire to deliver excellent services for clients – we’d like to hear from you.
- Pursuing a Bachelor’s Degree in Mechanical, Architectural Engineering, or Building Sciences related degree
- Coursework in heat transfer and thermodynamics, fluid dynamics or HVAC design
- Developing interest in the built environment
- Proven leadership experience and time management skills
- Ability to communicate thoughts and technical ideas in an accessible way
- Attitude of taking initiative, enthusiasm, eagerness to learn, teamwork, creativity
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills essential for team-based working
- Presentation skills with colleagues and clients of all levels
- Candidate must be eligible to work in the US without the need for employer sponsored work authorization now or in the future to be considered for this role.
- Minimum of 3.0 GPA or higher
- Pursuing a Master’s Degree in Mechanical, Architectural Engineering, or Building Sciences related degree
- Passed Fundamentals of Engineering examination
- Membership in ASHRAE, USGBC, ASME
- Coursework in Energy/thermal modeling experience, Revit or 3D modeling experience and/or sustainability
- Advanced computational modeling (e.g., CFD)
- Computer programming languages (e.g., Dynamo, Python, Grasshopper)
Area of Responsibilities
- Design of Heating, Ventilation and Air Conditioning (HVAC) services within the built environment, with an emphasis on sustainable design
- Collaborate with clients, architects, engineers, and consultants to develop integrated solutions for complex buildings
- Perform engineering analysis and modelling, including whole building load calculations and energy analysis, façade thermal analysis, and airflow modelling
- Document system design in Revit MEP
- Communicate technical ideas to a broad range of audiences using various formats, including presentations and workshops
- Write reports documenting calculation methods and results, design assumptions, and other technical information
- The ability to prioritize effectively, balance assigned work and exceptional organization skills required for our constantly evolving environment
- Influence with design on sustainable outcome for our clients to align with Arup sustainability commitment