Optimizing Muon Experiments with Statistical and Machine Learning Techniques Industrial Placement
UK Research and Innovation
🚀 Placement Program
⌛ 27d left
AI generated summary
- The candidate must be enrolled in an undergraduate degree program, have the right to work in the UK, possess a strong interest in computational science, good mathematical ability, programming skills, effective communication, self-motivated learning, teamwork, proficiency in scientific software, and preferably knowledge of machine learning, Python, and experience in science experiments and willingness to travel.
- The candidate will be responsible for understanding and analyzing muon spin rotation data, adapting software to apply Fisher information-based methods, investigating Gaussian process regression for optimizing muon experiments, creating a software package for experiment planning, and implementing the software into existing controls.
- This position will involve developing the statistical and machine learning methods already used for neutron experiments so that they can be applied to muon experiments, and then creating software to make these methods accessible to those completing experiments at the facility. This project will suit a candidate who has a very strong mathematical and computational background, and who is keen to learn about statistical methods and how they can be applied to solve problems.
- Currently enrolled on an undergraduate degree course
- Are required or have requested to take an industrial placement year
- Able to commence employment in summer 2024
- Have the right to live and work in the UK for the duration of the placement
- A proven interest in computational science, with a desire to learn more in this area
- A good mathematical ability
- Experience of writing programs to solve problems
- Able to communicate thoughts and ideas effectively
- Ability to work independently and engage in self-motivated learning
- Ability to work as part of a team
- Able to quickly become proficient using new scientific software
- An appreciation of how machine leaning can be applied to optimisation problems
- Experience of writing programs in python
- Experience of being involved in science experiments
- A willingness to travel on company business within the UK and internationally
- Part of our application process involves submitting your CV and a cover letter. Your cover letter should address your suitability for the opportunity based on how you meet each essential criteria stated in this advert.
Area of Responsibilities
Research & Development
- Getting a basic understanding of the technique of muon spin rotation, particularly in how data are taken and analysed.
- Adapting the software package ‘HOGBEN’ so that the Fisher information-based methods can be applied to muon experiments, working closely with the ISIS computing group.
- Investigating how Gaussian process regression can be used to work out which sample environment parameters should be set to optimise muon experiments.
- Creating a software package which implements the above two methods so that they can be used to inform the planning of experiments.
- Implementing the software into the existing experimental control software, working with the instrument scientists in the muon group and the ISIS experimental controls group.
Oct 29, 2023