Public Engagement Industrial Placement
UK Research and Innovation
🚀 Placement Program
⌛ 26d left
AI generated summary
- A currently enrolled undergraduate with a passion for science communication and public engagement, strong presentation and organizational skills, and a willingness to learn new skills, especially in quantum computing. Desirable qualifications include enrollment in a degree program with a Public Engagement/Science Communication component and experience in STEM public engagement.
- The candidate will be responsible for researching and presenting science and engineering through various channels to different audiences, developing creative resources for outreach events, supporting public engagement events, and creating technical content for social media and website.
- We seek a public engagement student to promote NQCC science, engineering, and the topic of quantum computing, to a range of audiences, including school students and the general public. You will join a group that plays a major role in communications and engagement at the NQCC, promoting science and engineering through a range of channels.
- You will have a have a passion for STEM (science, technology, engineering and mathematics). You will enjoy using and developing your presentation, organisational and creative skills to promote our science and engineering, as well as STEM subjects and careers, to a wide range of audiences through articles, education activities and events, including science fairs and festivals. Some events may be virtual.
- The role would suit someone studying for a science or engineering degree, interested in science communication, and keen to encourage and engage with young people and the public. The candidate will be able to work well both individually and as part of a team, and will be interested in scientific areas and communicating that science to diverse audiences.
- Currently enrolled on an undergraduate degree course
- Are required or have requested to take an industrial placement year
- Able to commence employment in summer 2024
- Have the right to live and work in the UK for the duration of the placement
- Keen interest or passion in science communication, schools and public engagement
- Excellent presentation skills, communication skills and good organisational skills
- Demonstrate good team working capabilities
- The willingness to learn new skills, both technical and non-technical
- Demonstrate an interest in quantum computing.
- Enrolled on a degree course with a Public Engagement/Science Communication component or module
- Experience in STEM public engagement
- Demonstrate an understanding and the ability to explain quantum computing to a lay audience.
2:1 or higher
Area of Responsibilities
Business, Operations & Strategy
- Researching and presenting our science and engineering through channels including events, activities, workshops and articles, to a range of audiences
- Developing new, creative resources for scientists/engineers to take to festivals, fairs and schools, and for remote and online delivery
- Working with the NQCC outreach, education and skills team to help deliver public engagement events
- Supporting other NQCC outreach and public engagement and communications activities such as developing creative technical content for social media channels and the NQCC website.
Oct 29, 2023