RSSL Analytical Chemistry Internship/Placement Year 2024 - 2025
🚀 Placement Program
AI generated summary
- The candidate must be studying a scientific degree with a predicted 2:1 classification, possess strong analytical and communication skills, be self-motivated and passionate about technical excellence, demonstrate autonomy and teamwork abilities, and have a good working knowledge of MS Office. Additionally, the candidate should be proactive, ready to take on new responsibilities, able to build strong relationships, and willing to travel if required.
- As an Analytical Chemistry placement student at RSSL, you will be responsible for conducting a variety of routine and investigative analyses in one of our specialized laboratories. You will work independently and as part of a team, using a range of analytical methods and laboratory equipment to support customers in areas such as functional ingredients, pharmaceutical chemistry, physical sciences, metals, and microscopy. You will plan and execute experiments, produce technical reports, communicate findings to stakeholders, and have the opportunity to collaborate with other departments within RSSL and Mondelēz International.
- When you join RSSL, you’re joining a global network enriched by our parent company Mondelēz International. Our diverse team includes 23 nationalities from 350 members and, all together, we are committed to transforming lives through science, innovation, and collaboration.
- Our placements are 13 months long and during this time we’ll make you an integral part of the team. We hope to help you expand your horizons and encourage both your personal and professional development.
- Studying towards a suitable scientific degree (detailed above)
- Predicted classification 2:1 (or equivalent)
- Self-motivated and driven
- Naturally inquisitive and passionate about technical excellence
- Can work with a level of autonomy, as well as within a team
- Demonstrate strong analytical, communication and presentation abilities
- Pro-active and ready to take on new responsibilities
- Able to build strong relationships
- Good working knowledge of MS Office
- Able to travel (if required)
2:1 or higher
Area of Responsibilities
- As an Analytical Chemistry placement student at RSSL, you will be responsible and accountable for your projects from start to finish. We have multiple opportunities available across our state-of-the-art laboratories, where each has their own specialisms.
- For our Analytical Chemistry placements, we will consider the following degrees - Chemistry (and related degrees such as Analytical Chemistry, Applied Chemistry, Medicinal Chemistry, Forensic Chemistry and Pharmaceutical Chemistry), Chemical Engineering, Biochemistry, Natural Sciences, Physics and Materials Science.
- Functional Ingredients:
- The Functional Ingredients team provides a range of analytical methods to assist customers with nutritional claim substantiation, due diligence, labelling and ingredient stability. A student here will work both with a team, and independently, to undertake a range of routine and investigative analyses. There may also be opportunities to assist in the development of new, bespoke analytical methods. You will also develop expertise in a range of analytical methods and laboratory equipment such as HPLC, IC, LC-MS, GC, GC-MS HunterLab Colourimeter, and UV-Vis spectroscopy.
- Pharmaceutical Chemistry:
- The Pharmaceutical Chemistry team performs a range of routine and specialised analyses for a variety of pharmaceutical and healthcare companies. As a student, you will be part of a team of more than 20 and learn to work to GMP standards in our compliant laboratory, inspected by the MHRA and FDA. You will undertake a comprehensive training programme to perform routine testing of pharmaceutical raw materials, active pharmaceutical ingredients (API’s), excipients and finished drug products against pharmacopoeia and client methods. Throughout the year you will develop expertise in a wide range of analytical methods and techniques such as FTIR, UV-VIS Spectrophotometry, Specific Optical Rotation, Specific Gravity, Refractive Index and Osmolality.
- Physical Sciences:
- The Physical Sciences team look at physical properties of both food and pharmaceutical products, which are of vital importance in predicting and optimising quality and behaviour during processing and storage. As a student in this area, you will perform a wide range of analyses both with a team and independently on products from the food, pharmaceutical and healthcare industries, as well projects for Mondelez. You will develop expertise in analytical methods and operation of laboratory equipment including Karl Fischer, Malvern Mastersizer, mechanical sieving, and texture analysers.
- The Metals group undertake a wide range of analytical contracts for a variety of healthcare, food and pharmaceutical companies as well as supporting Mondelēz research and development. Students in this department will conduct sample preparation (e.g., ashing and microwave digestion) and undertake analyses using a range of spectroscopy techniques including AAS, ICP-OES, ICP-MS.
- The Microscopy group carries out investigative analysis to support our foreign body identification and product contamination services. These also carry out routine and bespoke pharmacopoeia testing. A placement student in this team will develop expertise in analytical techniques including light microscopy, FT-IR and RAMAN spectroscopy, Scanning Electron Microscopy, X-ray microanalysis and microfluorescence.
- During the placement, you will be expected to plan and execute experiments related to your projects, produce technical reports/presentations, and periodically communicate your key findings to stakeholders. You will also have the opportunity to interact with other departments within RSSL and, for certain roles, the wider Mondelez business. In addition to this, you may also be expected to support other ongoing project activities outside of your immediate team. Where a project is required to be completed as art of your university degree, we will ensure to work with you and your supervisor to find a project which meets the requirements.
- Please be aware that this role may require handling of materials that may contain chemicals, solvents and allergens, and the appropriate protective wear will be supplied.
Nov 3, 2023
- In return for your commitment, drive and enthusiasm, we offer an attractive benefits package within a highly successful international business that offers a competitive salary, 35 days annual leave (including bank holidays), contributory pension, life assurance, and a flexible benefits programme.