Science Communication Industrial Placement
UK Research and Innovation
🚀 Placement Program
⌛ 26d left
AI generated summary
- Science Communication Industrial Placement - Requirements: Currently enrolled on an undergraduate degree course, placement year request, right to work in the UK, starting summer 2024, GCSE English, keen interest in science, excellent writing and presentation skills, good team player, willingness to learn new skills, open-minded and flexible. Desirable: A-levels in Science and English, experience in graphic design and social media, writing for publication, and STEM outreach.
- The Science Communication Industrial Placement will involve researching and presenting scientific information through various mediums, supporting content creation on websites and social media, developing case studies, assisting with events, and supporting other communication team activities such as video production and graphic design.
- We are looking to fill five science communication industrial placements to play a full role in promoting STFC science to a range of audiences. You will join a departmental team that plays a major role within STFC, promoting science through a range of channels including websites, social media, specialist and national media, events, exhibitions and education activities.
- A passion for science and technology, an enjoyment of writing, a willingness to learn new techniques and the ability to explain sometimes complex subject matter in an engaging and understandable way to the general public is key for this role. This placement will allow you to develop your communication skills, both through written and other formats, by promoting our science to a wide range of audiences. You must be able to work well both individually and as part of a team and be interested in a wide range of scientific areas and how science impacts on society. You might be a science student wanting to switch into science communication or you might be a journalism student seeking to specialise in science.
The five positions will be based in the following departments:
- ISIS Neutron and Muon Source
- The Central Laser Facility
- Scientific Computing Department
- Particle Physics Department
- Strategy Planning and Communications directorate
- Currently enrolled on an undergraduate degree course
- Are required or have requested to take a placement year
- Have the right to live and work in the UK for the duration of the placement
- Able to commence employment in summer 2024
- GCSE English or equivalent
- Keen interest in science and science communication
- Excellent writing, presentation and organisational skills
- Demonstrate good team working capabilities
- The willingness to learn new skills, both technical and non-technical
- Open minded and flexible in relation to the type of work assigned to them
- A-levels or equivalent in Science and English
- Experience in graphic design, social media or video/audio production
- Experience in writing for publication
- Experience in STEM outreach
Area of Responsibilities
- Researching and presenting our science through a range of written, verbal and visual channels
- Support website and social media content creation and development
- Developing case studies of staff and industrial work
- Working with scientists and engineers to help deliver events, including the RAL open week
- Supporting other communication team activities such as video production and motion graphics
- All of the above includes opportunities to create content via graphic design, video production and other creative means.
Oct 29, 2023