Software Engineer Industrial Placement
UK Research and Innovation
🚀 Placement Program
AI generated summary
- The candidate must be currently enrolled on an undergraduate degree course, have requested or required an industrial placement year, able to work in the UK, have excellent knowledge of programming languages, good communication and team working skills, a desire to learn new skills, and be open-minded and flexible in their work. Desirable skills include knowledge of software design patterns, agile development methodologies, and familiarity with version control systems.
- The Software Engineer Industrial Placement will be responsible for developing and testing new hardware drivers, maintaining user interfaces, conducting testing and support, creating and deploying software releases, and collaborating with customers and team members at UK Research and Innovation.
- The ISIS pulsed neutron and muon source at the Rutherford Appleton Laboratory is a world-leading centre for research producing beams of neutrons and muons to study materials at the atomic level using a modern suite of beamline instrumentation. It supports a national and international community of more than 2000 scientists who use neutrons and muons for research in physics, chemistry, materials science, geology, engineering, and biology.
- In the Experiment Control Group, we develop and maintain a suite of software and associated systems in order to control and gather data from the ISIS experiments. Our in-house instrument control software called IBEX is responsible for the control and monitoring of experiment conditions (such as temperature, magnetic fields, beamline alignment), as well as co-ordinating the collection and collation of experiment data from a variety of sources. The IBEX project uses the open-source EPICS (Experimental Physics and Industrial Control System) and Eclipse/RCP frameworks. Development is carried out in a variety of programming languages, with an emphasis on Java and Python.
- During the placement you will be supported in your learning by more experienced members of the group for all technical issues and queries you may have, and also by a line manager within the group for all other concerns.
- Currently enrolled on an undergraduate degree course
- Are required or have requested to take an industrial placement year
- Able to commence employment in summer 2024
- Have the right to live and work in the UK for the duration of the placement
- Excellent knowledge of modern programming languages such as Java, Python, C# or C++
- Knowledge of OOP paradigm
- Good communication skills
- Demonstrable good team working capabilities
- A desire to learn new skills, both technical and non-technical
- Open minded and flexible in relation to the type of work assigned to them
- Good knowledge of software design patterns and best practices
- Good knowledge of agile development methodologies
- Familiarity with version control systems e.g. Git
- Part of our application process involves submitting your CV and a cover letter. Your cover letter should address your suitability for the opportunity based on how you meet each essential criteria stated in this advert.
Area of Responsibilities
- Developing and testing new drivers for the hardware that controls experiments at ISIS (and performing related testing and support activities)
- Developing and maintaining user interfaces
- Maintaining our comprehensive suite of automated tests
- Creating and deploying new releases of the IBEX control system
- Interacting with customers (scientists and engineers) as well as other members of the team
- Participating in all aspects of the agile development process
Oct 29, 2023