Software Engineer – Web Development Industrial Placement
UK Research and Innovation
🚀 Placement Program
AI generated summary
- The candidate must be a current undergraduate student seeking an industrial placement, with strong academic performance, knowledge of object-oriented programming and databases, and the ability to work independently and collaboratively. Must have the right to work in the UK.
- The candidate will be involved in all aspects of the software development lifecycle, working on projects using Agile methodologies, writing high-quality code, participating in team meetings, collaborating with colleagues, and supporting engineers and scientists using groundbreaking technologies.
- We have opportunities for students to join us to help develop new software and web services which run our user and experiment programmes. We are looking for students who are keen to learn and have potential, and we provide a wide range of training opportunities in an encouraging team atmosphere.
- Currently enrolled on an undergraduate degree course
- Are required or have requested to take an industrial placement year
- Able to commence employment in summer 2024
- Have the right to live and work in the UK for the duration of the placement
- A strong academic background with very good module grades at university so far
- A good understanding and some experience of object-oriented programming e.g. in Java, C# or similar
- A good understanding of relational database theory and SQL
- An awareness of software engineering principles, including testing and best practice.
- Good interpersonal skills and the ability to work with others and communicate complex information effectively
- An ability to take initiative and work effectively with limited supervision at times
Area of Responsibilities
- Be involved in all stages of the software development lifecycle from requirements collection through to design, coding, testing, deployment, support and running high quality production services.
- Work on a range of projects using Agile methodologies with real responsibility and ownership in a supportive environment.
- Write clear, well-structured code that meets requirements and is easy to maintain.
- Take an active role in team meetings.
- Collaborate and solve problems together with colleagues.
- Work with an interdisciplinary team supporting engineers and scientists, who are using ground-breaking technologies to enable science at the facility
Oct 29, 2023