Statistician Internship - London
- Our Statistics team provide statistical and analytical expertise across Costello Medical, devising statistical analysis plans and performing data analysis within R, Excel, STATA and BUGS software. They are also responsible for communicating the methodologies and results in both written and oral formats to drug and device manufacturers, doctors and reimbursement agencies such as NICE in the UK. The statistical analyses varies across patient-level clinical trial data, observational study data, real-world data and published aggregate data, and involves a range of techniques such as basic statistical analysis of individual patient data, regression analysis, survival analysis and Bayesian network meta-analysis using both standard and emerging methods.
- Interns receive extensive one-to-one training on the technical aspects of projects, as well as learning about project management and effective communication with clients.
Area of Responsibilities
- This position is ideal for recent graduates and post-graduates, as well as current students, who are seeking to gain experience in the field of statistics in a more commercial environment. You will be presented with the opportunity to apply techniques learned during your academic training to real-world problems in healthcare and medical science. You will work on projects involving data analysis and the communication of both methodologies and results in a variety of publications, value materials, health economic models or health technology assessment submissions.
- These projects typically require you to be working on several projects across a variety of therapeutic areas at any one time, which could include critically appraising and interpreting complex statistical analyses, planning and performing analyses of clinical trial data or synthesising evidence using Bayesian and frequentist (network) meta-analysis techniques. The results of each analysis can feed into publications, value materials, health economic models or health technology assessment submissions. You will therefore be exposed to a wide variety of our services and a broad range of therapeutic areas.
- This internship is suited to recent graduates and post-graduates, as well as current students who are permitted to complete full time internships either during the holidays or as a placement as a part of their degree. In line with the company’s values, the successful applicant will be passionate about improving patient outcomes by applying their statistical knowledge and technical skills to the healthcare industry.
Essential requirements for the role are:
- An undergraduate degree in a scientific or mathematical discipline (minimum or expected 2.1) is required. Postgraduate qualifications (minimum or expected 2.1, or equivalent) would be an advantage, but they are not a requirement for the role
- A high degree of accuracy and attention to detail
- Strong mathematical ability
- Advanced skills in Excel
- A strong programming background, including good R programming skills or knowledge of at least one similar programming language. Please note that our recruitment process involves an assessment exercise, which you will be asked to complete using R
- Excellent written English
- The ability to use your initiative and work independently, in addition to working collaboratively within project teams
2:1 or higher
- The stipend for interns is £1,950 per calendar month, and you will be entitled to statutory holiday. We are proud of our position in The Best Companies Top 100 Companies to Work for list which has been achieved for five consecutive years, awarded because of the friendly and supportive environment that we generate for our colleagues and the opportunities offered for quick progression and increased responsibility. We provide exceptional internal training, opportunities to work on pro bono and charitable projects, and regular company-funded social activities.