STEM Public Engagement Industrial Placement
UK Research and Innovation
🚀 Placement Program
AI generated summary
- The ideal candidate is currently enrolled in a science, engineering, or mathematics undergraduate degree, has a keen interest in science communication and public engagement, possesses excellent presentation and communication skills, is well-organized, and can work effectively in a team. Additional preference is given to candidates with a public engagement or science communication component in their degree and experience in STEM public engagement.
- The candidate will be responsible for researching and presenting science and engineering through various channels, developing resources, assisting with public engagement events, and supporting other communication and engagement activities.
- We seek a public engagement student to promote ISIS science and engineering to a range of audiences, including school students and the general public. You will join a team that plays a major role in communications and engagement at ISIS and STFC, promoting science and engineering through a range of channels.
- You will have a passion for STEM (science, technology, engineering and mathematics). You will enjoy using and developing your presentation, organisational and creative skills to promote our science and engineering, as well as STEM subjects and careers, to a wide range of audiences through articles, education activities and events, including science fairs and festivals. Some activities may be virtual.
- The role would suit someone studying for a science or engineering degree, interested in science communication and keen to inspire and engage with young people and the public. The candidate must be able to work well both individually and as part of a team. They must be interested in a wide range of scientific areas and have a strong interest in communicating STEM to diverse audiences, including those that are hard-to-reach or under-represented in STEM fields.
- Currently enrolled on an undergraduate degree course
- Are required or have requested to take an industrial placement year
- Able to commence employment in summer 2024
- Have the right to live and work in the UK for the duration of the placement
- Enrolled on an undergraduate degree course in Science, Engineering or Mathematics
- Keen interest in science communication
- Keen interest in schools and public engagement
- Excellent presentation skills
- Excellent communication skills
- Good organisational skills
- Demonstrate good team working capabilities
- Enrolled on a degree course with a Public Engagement/Science Communication component
- Experience in STEM public engagement
Area of Responsibilities
Research & Development
- Researching and presenting our science and engineering through a range of channels, including events, activities, workshops and articles, to a range of audiences.
- Developing new resources for staff and our scientific users to take to festivals, fairs and schools, and for remote and online delivery.
- Working with scientists and engineers to help deliver public engagement events.
- Supporting other ISIS communication and engagement activities.
Oct 29, 2023