Undergraduate Placement - Mechanical Design Engineer (Engineering)
🚀 Placement Program
AI generated summary
- The candidate must possess a curiosity to solve problems, a desire to learn new things, resilience, the ability to ask questions, dependability, and comfort working on classified defense projects.
- As a Mechanical Design Engineer at AWE, the candidate will collaborate with colleagues on challenging problems, develop a work plan, interact with partners and customers, participate in equity and inclusion initiatives, and have the opportunity to join the company's graduate development scheme. They will gain valuable experience in Mechanical Design and make a real difference to themselves and to AWE.
- As a Mechanical Design Engineer within our Warhead Engineering sub-function, you will be part of a supportive team involved in a range of activities covering concept and detail design, drawings, assembly and testing of precision mechanical devices, components and systems. Our work is key to substantiating the safety and effectiveness of the warhead system, de-risking the current and future systems. We also support other programmes across the business.
- What behaviors should you possess?:
- You are the sort of person who likes getting stuck into interesting problems. You are curious about what you see and eager to learn new things. You ask questions when you do not understand something and are resilient in the face of setbacks. You like working with others and you are dependable. You are comfortable working in a classified environment on defence projects.
Area of Responsibilities
- What to expect on your placement:
- AWE has a highly inclusive culture. You will be supported by colleagues and management to bring your unique contribution to our work.
- You will undergo ‘DV’ security clearance to allow you to work on classified programmes.
- From Day 1 you will be collaborating with like-minded people on challenging problems, and you will encounter many development opportunities within the role.
- You will develop a work plan at the start of your placement that will help you to track your progress, achieve your goals and meet our programme needs.
- Depending on the team you are assigned to, you may have the opportunity to interact with UK and overseas partners and customers.
- There is a vibrant early careers community at AWE and you will have the opportunity to socialise across the multi-disciplinary group of undergraduate placement students and new graduates.
- You can join any of our six staff-led Equity, Diversity and Inclusion working groups to help guide our supportive work culture
- You will learn about AWE and develop a pathway to re-join us once you graduate (if you wish!) on our Evolve graduate development scheme.
- At the end of the placement, you will leave with a strong understanding and experience of Mechanical Design (that can be applied across many industries) and a feeling of satisfaction that you have made a real difference both to yourself and to AWE.
- A market leading contributory pension scheme. We will pay between 9% and 13% of your pensionable pay depending on your own contribution.
- Every second Friday off. We do this by working a 41-hour week followed by a 33-hour week.
- 270 hours annual leave a year that includes an allowance for bank holidays.
- Access to the AWE My Discounts portal, offering discounts with Retail, Hospitality and Leisure providers.