Undergraduate Placement - Pulsed Power Scientist
🚀 Placement Program
AI generated summary
- The ideal candidate for this undergraduate placement must possess a growth mindset, be curious and innovative, demonstrate resilience, and be a team player.
- The candidate will be involved in various technical and scientific activities related to generating X-Ray pulses, including plasma physics, electrical engineering, and mechanical engineering. They will work in a team, receive mentorship, and be part of projects at the Trials and Test Technology Centre.
- AWE is a high performing streamlined business, delivering extraordinary products. By joining us as an Undergraduate Student, you will make a direct contribution to the successful operations in the Trials and Test Technology Centre, where we conduct trials across mechanical, explosive and extreme environments, and maintain capabilities such as the Orion plasma LASER facility (see URL link). You will also gain knowledge and experience of industry best practice within the Science discipline.
- You will possess the following traits and qualities:
- Growth Mindset; You’re full of grit and determination. Clear where you are going and how you will get there.
- Curious; you’re a person who loves to think outside the box. (You’re a person who loves to take the box apart!).
- Innovative; you’re open to learning about new technologies and ground-breaking ideas.
- Resilience; you’re an advocate of ‘speaking up’ for yourself and others openly and constructively.
- Team Worker; you’re dependable and reliable. You’re interested in collaborating with and supporting others.
Area of Responsibilities
- Exact taskings will depend on the projects available at the time. You can expect to be part of a team that carries out a range of technical, engineering and scientific activities that blends the Physics and Electrical/Electronic Engineering that is necessary to generate these X-Ray pulses – from the Plasma Physics of the X-Ray diode, back through the Electrical and Mechanical Engineering of the equipment used to generate these very fast pulses of electrical energy that drive them and how they interface with the instrumentation and interact with other systems like facility electrical supplies or other equipment. During this, you will be supported and mentored by experienced Scientists, well versed in AWE processes.
- There is 1 exciting opportunity for placement within the Trials and Test Technology Centre. Interested candidates will most likely be studying a Physics degree or module.
- A market leading contributory pension scheme
- Generous holiday entitlement
- Excellent work/life balance
- 9-day working fortnight. This means you get every other Friday off work.