Water Engineering Industrial Placement - Belfast
🚀 Placement Program
- Our Water team in Belfast are looking for civil engineering students to join their team over the summer or for a longer-term industrial placement.
- Communities around the globe are challenged to find effective ways to manage water throughout the water cycle restoring the water we use to continue sustaining the natural environment. At AECOM, our Water specialists work together worldwide to find innovative solutions to the management of water. We provide technical expertise and solutions for projects across Europe, the Middle East and Africa, in areas such as:
- Flood Risk Management
- Hydraulic Modelling and Design (Surface, Potable and Foul)
- Sustainable Drainage Systems and Water-Sensitive Urban Design
- Mains Infrastructure Design (Surface, Potable and Foul)
- Non-Infrastructure Design (Pumping Stations, Storage Tanks)
- Hydrology and Water Resources
- You will gain valuable experience working on a variety of global projects alongside a multitude of different disciplines, and be encouraged to develop your understanding of many elements within the water industry, such as hydraulic, structural and environmental design through calculations, report writing and use of engineering software. You will work alongside our experienced engineers as you develop these skills within a positive culture where learning and development is actively supported and promoted.
Area of Responsibilities
- Undertake numerical analysis including the use of computer-based programmes to assist with the study of potable, surface and wastewater systems
- Undertake technical and feasibility studies to appraise the practicability of alternative solutions in aspects such as potable water, foul water, surface water and attenuation requirements, including appropriate calculations
- Undertake structural analysis and design such as determination of the design situation and load cases, including calculation and use of analysis software
- Produce designs of water infrastructure such as pump systems and pipe networks with attenuation to safety in design, such as creating a Designer’s Risk Assessment document
- Produce sketches, check and consolidate final working drawings created by Technicians
- Working with other team members to undertake technical work, site work, and project management
- Studying towards a BEng in Civil or Structural Engineering
- Studying towards an MEng in Civil, Structural, or a Water Engineering related MSc (civils) would be an advantage
- Water-related modules would be an advantage
- Enthusiastic, hard-working, technically proficient, with ambition and drive.
- Basic computer skills essential (Word/Excel) and good report writing skills beneficial.
- Demonstrable interest in water engineering
- Communicate effectively to internal and external clients, both verbally & in writing.
- Structure & prioritise work effectively through close cooperation with the team as a whole.
- Ability to work independently without losing initiative & focus.