2024 Graduate Programme – Architecture (Consult) – Local Government sector – London (September start)
💼 Graduate Job
AI generated summary
- The candidate must have a RIBA accredited bachelor's degree or higher in Architectural Design, 5 GCSEs at grade 4/C or above, and possess values, behaviours, and competencies aligned with the company's mission, including a proactive attitude and a passion for service excellence. They should also be flexible and willing to travel as required.
- The candidate will assist in designing architectural projects, ensuring compliance with legal requirements, maintaining training and understanding regulations, while collaborating with stakeholders and providing guidance to junior team members. They will also contribute to the goal of achieving net zero carbon emissions.
- This role starts in early September 2024, and is based in London in the Local Government and Communities sector within our Consult engine.
- Delivering for everyone, everywhere. The work of government never stands still: changing requirements necessitates adaptation and evolution. And so too, their estates. The public sector faces many challenges when delivering projects and programmes for the communities they serve. From building homes to modernising leisure facilities there are tight timescales. Pressed budgets. Constantly changing political priorities.
- Add in sustainability targets, devolution, ageing under-utilised estates, plus efforts to rebuild communities post-pandemic and government needs a trusted partner, with local knowledge, that delivers. Across consultancy and construction, Mace has been supporting government departments, both in the UK and overseas, for over 25 years. From rationalising estates and embedding sustainability, to improving the efficiency and effectiveness of projects across the built environment. We are passionate about delivering leading edge ‘state-of-the-art’ environments that make positive statements and push boundaries. Whether that be the construction of complex acute and primary care facilities, new schools, prisons, or nuclear reactors we have a proven track record of delivery.
- In our Consult engine, you’ll be part of a global think tank where innovation and sustainability take the lead. We collaborate closely with clients to understand their individual challenges, lending new ideas and fresh thinking to make strategic decisions and shape project directions. We will follow our clients where they work, often sharing their locations. Whilst we visit projects and sites, Consult is more about delivery of creative solutions than hardhats. If on-site action speaks to you more, our Construct engine might be your scene – check out the hands-on roles we have there, where you’ll be turning plans into reality on the ground.
- A future or recent graduate with a RIBA accredited bachelor’s degree or higher in Architectural Design or similar
- 5 GCSEs at grade 4/C or above, including Maths and English (or equivalent qualifications)
- We’re looking for ambitious people who want to make a difference in the world. Proactive people who aren’t afraid of barriers, innovate, and have a genuine passion for service excellence. And those who embody the same values, behaviours and competencies as us to proudly move our industry forward:
- Values – safety first, client focus, create opportunity, and integrity
- Behaviours – curious, collaborators, contributors, and champions of diversity and inclusion
- Competencies – build effective teams, embrace change, solve problems, and build trusted relationships
- As our projects are spread across different locations, your work base will be flexible, and travel may be required to various project sites or Mace offices. It’s therefore important to have a positive and flexible approach towards travel.
Area of Responsibilities
Architecture & Urban Planning
- In Architecture, you will play a key role in designing delegated elements of Architectural projects to concept stage, meeting business, statutory legal and contractual requirements. Security clearances may be required for some projects. You will gain an understanding of the overall development process of design and construction, exploring the differing disciplines for delivery. Some of your main responsibilities will include:
- Assisting the architectural team to develop and understand the protocols, processes, and technical aspects of the overall role
- Ensuring training is kept up to date, gaining a clear understanding of statutory and regulatory requirements
- Engaging with business improvement directives where applicable
- Developing working relationships with a range of internal stakeholders
- Provides informal guidance to more junior roles
- Works with team members providing operational delivery of team/regional strategy etc.
- Works collaboratively towards the common goal of net zero carbon transition, and share responsibility for the proactive identification and management of the associated carbon emissions and reductions during the delivery of work.
- A permanent role from the moment you join
- Competitive salary + fully funded professional membership
- 22 days annual leave + bank holidays
- 2 additional ‘Mace Days’ off + 3 days paid Christmas shutdown
- One volunteering day a year
- Company pension (with up to 7% employer contribution)
- Life assurance
- Private medical insurance cover
- Annual health screening
- Cycle to work scheme
- Green car scheme
- Season ticket loan
- Discounts and savings for retailers, gyms, cafes, restaurants, cinemas, etc.
- A number of other flexible benefits