Graduate Ground Engineering - Geology
💼 Graduate Job
AI generated summary
- The ideal candidate for the Graduate Ground Engineering - Geology position at Arup should have a Bachelor's degree in Engineering Geology, Geology, Earth Science, Geophysics, or a related subject, with a minimum of 2.1. A post-graduate qualification in Engineering Geology, Geotechnics, Soil Mechanics, or Rock Mechanics is preferred. They should have a strong knowledge and understanding of the geology sector and sustainable development principles, along with excellent communication and problem-solving skills. The candidate should be proactive, have proficiency in Microsoft Office, and be willing to learn new software. Familiarity with GIS, coding languages, finite element software, and an understanding of UN Sustainable Development Goals would be beneficial.
- As a Graduate Ground Engineering - Geology at Arup, you will assist in delivering professional services to high-profile clients, including desk studies, ground modeling, risk assessment, and engineering design. You will have the opportunity to work in the field, on investigations and construction, or focus on analysis, while collaborating with multidisciplinary teams and sharing expertise with external clients and stakeholders.
- Our global ground engineering expertise underpins Arup's project work, from design of buildings and infrastructure to consulting advice for city resilience. We advise on projects in the realms of energy, rail, highways, aviation, buildings, water, dams, flood mitigation, mining, tunnels and underground spaces. We also provide ground engineering expertise in natural hazards and risk to governments and their advisors, both in developed cities and in the context of international development.
- As one of the world's leading building and infrastructure design consultancies, we offer clients the innovation and technical know-how to continually deliver their projects on schedule and on budget, but without compromise.
- We are looking for enthusiastic graduates to join our Ground Engineering teams across our UK offices. From your first day, you'll join an unrivalled community of experts, where everyone is supported in their career path and encouraged to work towards a professional qualification.
- Do you have:
- A Bachelor's degree in Engineering Geology, Geology, Earth Science, Geophysics, or related subject, at 2.1 or above (predicted or attained)
- Preferably a post-graduate qualification (Master's or PhD) in Engineering Geology, Geotechnics, Soil Mechanics, or Rock Mechanics
- Enthusiasm for a career in Geology underpinned by a knowledge and understanding of our sector and work
- Rounded knowledge of engineering geology, supplemented with a good understanding of sustainable development principles
- An ability to communicate complex ideas and solutions effectively, work well within a team and possess an problem solving mindset
- The aptitude to work on your own initiative and be proactive, seeking to improve existing ways of working
- Enthusiasm for working out-of-doors from time to time
- Possess a strong working knowledge of Microsoft Office and demonstrate an aptitude for learning new software that utilises 3D design and digital automation
- A good understanding of GIS, for both interrogating and presenting data would be beneficial
- Some experience with coding languages, finite element software, or digital design would be beneficial
- Some knowledge of the UN Sustainable Development Goals, carbon management or Planetary Boundaries would be beneficial
- We're looking for people who are curious and ready to evolve how you think and work. Our strength comes from how we respect, share and connect our diverse experiences, perspectives and ideas. At Arup, you belong to an extraordinary collective – in which we encourage individuality to thrive. If you can share your knowledge and ideas and encourage others to do the same; whilst having a desire to deliver excellent services for clients – we'd like to hear from you.
2:1 or higher
Area of Responsibilities
- You will help us to deliver effective and professional services for a range of varied and high-profile clients. While you will have a great deal of responsibility from day one, we will give you the chance to take on more as you progress and broaden your skills and experience.
- This position provides the opportunity to develop a strong foundation for ground engineering, with the potential for project involvement that span the fields of rock mechanics, hydrogeology, geomorphology, geohazard and risk, offshore site characterisation, seismic engineering, geospatial analysis, and digital. There is an opportunity to shape your future, whether you aspire to be a generalist or specialist in a particular field.
- You will be working within a multi-disciplinary office supported by other ground engineering professionals of all levels of experience. You will undertake desk studies, interpret and assimilate data to prepare ground models, assess risk, and contribute to the engineering design process. You will have the opportunity to work in the field, on walkovers, investigations, and construction; or focus on analysis. Candidates will also share their knowledge and expertise for external clients and stakeholders on projects across a wide range of markets.
- Our multi-disciplinary project teams, give you the opportunity to work alongside experts in other Arup disciplines. You will support the team across your region, we may require you to work in any of our offices from time to time. Our structure enables us to encourage and support opportunities to share workload, take international assignments, develop new skills and build your network across the firm.