Graduate Mechanical Design Engineer
UK Research and Innovation
💼 Graduate Job
AI generated summary
- The ideal candidate for this Graduate Mechanical Design Engineer position should have a minimum 2:1 degree in a relevant field, knowledge of mechanical engineering principles, strong communication and organisational skills, and familiarity with quality assurance and safety systems. Desirable skills include CAE proficiency and experience with Autodesk CAD, ANSYS FEA, and inventor.
- The candidate will be responsible for undertaking conceptual and detail design of sub-systems and components, using CAD to produce solid models and manufacturing/assembly drawings. They will perform structural and thermal analyses, generate documentation, participate in design reviews, and assist with assembly/integration/testing tasks and instrument commissioning.
- The engineering design role involves working as a key part of a team to support our existing instrument program. This includes development of instruments for the VLT and the ELT telescopes, Earth observation satellites and future space telescope projects. The opportunity will involve the proposal, evaluation and development of conceptual opto-mechanical systems to meet project requirements and goals. This will include production of mechanical layouts, parts and manufacturing drawings using 3D CAD.
- This will all sit under the supervision of a senior/principal engineer, and training will be given in specialist areas as required.
- Achieved, or be on course to achieve, a minimum 2:1 degree in a relevant field of study
- Have the right to live and work in the UK at the time of starting employment
- Knowledge of the principles of mechanical engineering gained either through university modules or work-place experience, including:
- Mechanics and mechanisms
- Materials science
- Thermodynamics and heat transfer
- Design best practice and principles of quality assurance
- Strong communication, organisational and presentational skills, enabling the succinct transfer of information to a wide and diverse audience
- Good interpersonal skills, self-confidence and enthusiasm
- Knowledge of Quality Assurance and Safety, Health & Environment (SHE) Management Systems
- HND/NND mechanical engineering
- CAE specific skills Autodesk CAD/vault /visualisation, inventor, ANSYS FEA
2:1 or higher
Area of Responsibilities
- Working from information supplied by the project team, customer or consortia members, you will undertake the conceptual and detail design of sub-systems and their components. Information will be in the form of basic outline drawings, sketches, specifications or verbal instructions. Tasks will be defined in terms of technical goals and requirements and evaluation of solutions. Effort and cost estimation will also be undertaken.
- CAD will be used to produce solid models, layouts and detailed manufacturing/assembly drawings
- Structural and thermal analyses will be performed by FEA and traditional methods, with characterisation of hardware carried out using local test facilities. The engineer will be encouraged to have a clear understanding of the fundamental principles of structures, materials, and engineering tolerancing: there are few relevant design standards available.
- Documentation will be produced including drawing lists, design reports, technical specifications for work to be sub-contracted, test procedures, reports and operation and maintenance manuals.
- Take part in design reviews, vendor liaison, assembly / integration / testing tasks and, as required, instrument commissioning at overseas telescopes.