Graduate Utilities Consultant - Smart Energy & Sustainability - Birmingham
💼 Graduate Job
AI generated summary
- An interest in utilities, energy, and renewables, strong report writing and communication skills, working knowledge of AutoCAD, ability to work in a lively office with a great team spirit, humility, self-motivation, and enthusiasm.
- The candidate will be responsible for providing technical utilities consultancy, obtaining and reviewing asset records, producing drawings of utility infrastructure, managing projects and deadlines, liaising with utility companies, and assisting in the production of technical reports and specifications.
- This is an outstanding opportunity for you to join our highly influential Utilities Team within the Smart Energy and Sustainability division delivering sustainable projects for our communities, planet and society.
- Working with local authorities, universities, master planners and developers, you will be helping to shape the future and the approach that organisations are taking to decarbonisation and a net-zero future.
- Right now, we’re looking for an enthusiastic Graduate Utilities Consultant to join us in our Manchester office. We offer hybrid working as standard, including a couple of days a week in the office (or full time in the office if preferred!), alongside team members for training and collaborative working.
- You’ll be part of our collaborative and growing team, based in offices across the UK, and will help with the development and delivery of a pipeline of exciting and complex projects. The utilities infrastructure includes electricity, gas, water and telecommunications – the very lifeblood of buildings, without which there would be no power, running water, heating, lighting or internet. Here are some of our best recent projects!
- An interest in utilities, energy and renewables
- A degree in a relevant engineering degree is desirable but not essential – we have graduates from all backgrounds including physics and history in our team!
- Strong report writing skills
- Excellent communication skills (verbal and written) – we need to be able to digest technical knowledge and relay it to non-technical specialists
- A working knowledge of AutoCAD
- Enjoy working in a fun, lively office with a great team spirit
- Humility, self-motivation and enthusiasm.
- To buy into Hydrock’s values and ethos
Area of Responsibilities
- The role is to undertake duties necessary for project execution within the Utilities Team, working collaboratively with team members across offices and other services within the company, you will deliver technical utilities consultancy through the following work stages:
- Due diligence
- Master planning
- Pre/post Planning
- Your work will primarily involve the following tasks:
- Obtaining and reviewing asset records to assist in identifying development risks/constraints that show where utility infrastructure is located in and around a proposed development site
- Producing drawings showing utility infrastructure
- Supporting senior staff and the wider team in the procurement of quotes for utility providers for new utility connections, diversionary works and disconnection
- Simultaneously managing numerous projects and chasing utilities for responses to ensure project milestones are met
- Undertaking load calculations (Electricity, Gas, Clean/Foul Water for submission of pre-planning enquiries
- Reviewing ‘heat maps’ to find out high level information about where there is available capacity within the electricity networks.
- Liaising with utility companies to determine a strategy for how to bring power, gas, water and telecommunications into a development
- Looking at any constraints and risks that the utilities infrastructure may have on a development
- Managing your own workload to meet project deadlines
- Liaising with internal and external team members, developing relationships and people skills
- Assisting in the production of detailed accurate technical reports, drawings and specifications
- Inspiring and supportive colleagues
- Reward for progression and hard work
- An opportunity to develop your soft skills, as well your technical skills
- Competitive starting salary
- Excellent health benefits 25 days of holiday (buy/sell up to five days), accrue 1 day extra every 2 years, with bonus holidays too!
- An earlier finish on Friday (4pm!)
- An opportunity to give back: “Day off for good cause” (on a workday)
- A huge range of flexible benefits, including climate perks and an EV car leasing scheme