2024 - Information Technology - Summer Internship - London (for 2024 Graduates Only)
🚀 Summer Internship
Apply by Dec 1
- We offer a nine-week Summer Internship for final year students interested in learning about the banking business. The programme will provide you with the opportunity to develop your technical knowledge, gain valuable on-the-job training, understand our culture and create new networks.
- The first week of the internship is class-room based training which is provided to enhance your key technical skills and will enable you to perform on the desk during the internship. Following the training week, you will join one of our Technology desks for the remaining of the internship and complete tasks at a similar level of a first year Analyst. At the end of the internship, strong performers will receive offers to join our Graduate Programme.
- Additional sessions during the internship include soft skill sessions, product presentations, business overviews as well as social events.
- Summer Analysts will receive extensive training to enhance the skills they need to perform well during their internship. As part of the Corporate Infrastructure Summer Programme you will receive training which will include business overview presentations, structured class room seminars, internal training by business representatives and team-building with colleagues. You will receive ongoing performance feedback and have access to division specific educational sessions designed to aid your professional development. Managers will focus on your career development and dedicate their time to coach and mentor you, helping you realise your full potential.
- Throughout the Internship Programme you will be supported both by a buddy, mentor and dedicated programme management team.
Area of Responsibilities
Banking & Finance
- Technology at Nomura involves working with, and designing, state-of-the-art information technology and risk management systems. These are the systems that can often give us that crucial, split-second edge over our competitors. Work ranges from infrastructure support and deployment to in-house development of complex modelling software and applications.
There is a wide breadth of roles available in technology. Your role will fit into one of the below:
- Business Analysis – To help bridge the gap between the worlds of Technology and the business, Business Analysts are the intermediary through which each side can communicate effectively. Each modification we make to our in-house software requires complete understanding and agreement from both sides as to how things are to be changed, and as a Business Analyst you will facilitate this. You’ll be meeting regularly with business representatives to understand the problems that are currently occurring, and will be translating these problems into concrete requirements for the Development and Support teams. Analytical skills are a must for this role, as well as the ability to express an idea in more than one domain language.
- Software Development – Bespoke software is at the heart of everything we do, and as a software developer you will help build out our ecosystem to help our clients and traders create and maintain a competitive advantage over other banks and organisations on the street. We write a large proportion of our software in-house and you could be involved with anything from generating real-time risk measures for our traders, to ensuring that payments to other companies are correctly collated, calculated and executed. As a software developer at Nomura, you will be designing, implementing and deploying solutions to meet rapidly changing business and regulatory needs. Strong coding skills and a logical outlook are a must.
- Technical Support – To support the many systems that are written in house, our technical support teams are the first line of communication between our business users and Technology. As a member of one of our dedicated teams you’ll be doing anything from diagnosing and remediating issues in complex system flows to investigating previously unknown issues, all while in contact with traders or other business staff in a fast-paced environment. Excellent communication and technology knowledge are required to get the ‘big picture’ and disseminate information to find a solution to issues.
- Bear in mind, that not all jobs fit into one of these categories, and can sometimes span two or all three!
Your role will be in the context of one of our IT divisions:
- CTS – Corporate Technology Services (CTS) is responsible for delivering and supporting business applications to Finance; Compliance; Legal; Human Resources; Real Estate and various other Corporate divisions across the Nomura Group. CTS plays an essential role in servicing the Firm’s business needs and future direction by provisioning innovative, cost-efficient technology solutions to help underpin our competitiveness; revenue-generation and regulatory compliance.
- This is achieved by defining and overseeing strategic direction and technical architecture of Corporate Technology Services across Wholesale and wider Group companies; ensuring quality, delivery timeliness and progress transparency against milestones and objectives. Team collaboration is also involved, sharing successes and failures, ensuring we consistently and continually learn.
- CTS creates an environment and culture to attract the smartest and most determined people, helping them succeed in their roles and careers. Acting as true partners with the Business and wider Corporate world, they provide technical expertise, ideas, opinions and problem-solving abilities. CTS also sponsors and supports Firm-wide IT Transformation, transitioning to cloud, automated toolchain and testing processes.
- GIS – Global Infrastructure Services team is responsible for designing, developing and maintaining Nomura's core group-wide infrastructure platforms which are divided into three main functional areas: Digital Workspace; Cloud; and Traditional Services. These functions are underpinned by Engineering, Programme Management, Governance and Business Management functions.
- The GIS team continually drive forward the organisation through the delivery of leading edge technology platforms and business solutions. The current GIS project portfolio spans cloud and workspace initiatives alongside infrastructure optimisation programmes and provides support for business initiatives.
- Through the knowledge, expertise and teamwork of our people, we create significant technological and competitive advantage for Nomura. Our strategy is to provide a first class and cost efficient Service Delivery centering on Efficiency, Platform Standardisation, Consolidation and a Globalised Operating Model.
- GMIT – Global Markets Technology develops and maintains software solutions for the Global Markets division. Our products are used around the globe and include trading, pricing, risk management, analytics, research and sales systems.
- Risk IT – Risk IT supports the Risk Management division by developing and maintaining software solutions that calculate market and credit risk exposures and provide group-wide risk management capabilities in line with the firms’ risk appetite and regulatory requirements.
- WPS – Wholesale Production Services provides business aligned 1st/2nd line IT Support and has global responsibility for the overall stability of the systems supporting the global wholesale businesses and the supporting functions (e.g. Front Office, Operations, Risk, Finance, Compliance). Wholesale Production Services is responsible and accountable for monitoring the environment to proactively identify issues, incident management, release management, disaster recovery, capacity management and application support.
- At Nomura our goal is to attract and develop exceptionally talented people who share our passion for individual excellence and our commitment to teamwork. We recruit graduates and interns with a high level of academic and extra-curricular achievement, who will be able to withstand the rigours of a rapidly changing, demanding but ultimately rewarding environment.
- As an intern, you should be in your final year of university graduating in 2024. All applications will be considered.
- Fluency in English is essential.