Undergraduate Placement - Applied / Theoretical Scientist (Physics)
🚀 Placement Program
AI generated summary
- The ideal candidate for this undergraduate placement must possess a growth mindset, curiosity, innovation, resilience, and be a team worker.
- The candidate will participate in an undergraduate group project team, work on business deliverables, network with other undergraduates and the graduate community, and increase their knowledge and understanding within their subject area, gaining additional skills for their future career.
- As an Undergraduate student within our physics function you will be working within a small team to apply your skills and knowledge to support the full lifecycle of warhead components and technologies. We have a diverse range of teams who work to support the delivery of our mission including; Image Analysis, Explosive Modelling, Applied Computer Science, Mathematical Assessment to name just a few!
- During the programme, you’ll focus mainly on one or two projects or areas, gaining a deep insight into the work that is done. You’ll be supported by a line manager and a mentor, who will help you to navigate your time with us and support you in developing the skills to build your career within the defence industry.
- Your on-programme learning will combine a corporate induction to help you find your feet, on-job training and some classroom-based or online learning depending on your role.
- You will possess the following traits and qualities:
- Growth Mindset; You’re full of grit and determination. Clear where you are going and how you will get there.
- Curious; you’re a person who loves to think outside the box. (You’re a person who loves to take the box apart!).
- Innovative; you’re open to learning about new technologies and ground-breaking ideas.
- Resilience; you’re an advocate of ‘speaking up’ for yourself and others openly and constructively.
- Team Worker; you’re dependable and reliable. You’re interested in collaborating with and supporting others.
Area of Responsibilities
- Alongside this, your off-programme learning will include being part in an undergraduate group project team focusing on a business deliverable. We will give you every opportunity to network with other undergraduates, as well as the graduate community, so you can start building your business contacts at AWE.
- At the end of the programme, you’ll have increased your knowledge and understanding within your subject area – and gained additional skills to help you in your future career.
- A market leading contributory pension scheme
- Generous holiday entitlement
- Excellent work/life balance
- 9-day working fortnight. This means you get every other Friday off work.
- Access to employee discounts portal – everyday savings on retail, hospitality and leisure.