Undergraduate Placement - Environmental Scientist
🚀 Placement Program
AI generated summary
- The ideal candidate for this undergraduate placement as an Environmental Scientist must possess a growth mindset, be curious, innovative, resilient, and a team worker.
- The candidate will support environmental programme development, conduct field sampling, manage waste characterisation projects, manipulate and upload data, and oversee laboratory analytical processes for permit compliance.
- As an undergraduate student within Environmental Monitoring, you will get the opportunity to work in an exciting part of AWE ensuring compliance through delivery of regulatory requirements. In this role you will carry out regular scientific collection and analysis in support of regulatory duties, including the radiological and chemical monitoring of aqueous, airborne particulate, sediments and organic samples. The role also gives opportunity for learning about permit compliance, producing regulatory reports and assisting in programme reviews. You will also be involved in providing bulk waste sentencing for small and large construction and demolition projects by planning, and scientific radiological and chemical analysis with a statistical reporting approach.
- We are interested in applications from candidates working towards a degree in Environmental Science or Natural Sciences as well as Geography, Chemistry or Environmental Management. Most importantly we are looking for enthusiastic individuals keen to get involved and work on interesting research and tasks.
- You will possess the following traits and qualities:
- Growth Mindset; You’re full of grit and determination. Clear where you are going and how you will get there.
- Curious; you’re a person who loves to think outside the box. (You’re a person who loves to take the box apart!).
- Innovative; you’re open to learning about new technologies and ground-breaking ideas.
- Resilience; you’re an advocate of ‘speaking up’ for yourself and others openly and constructively.
- Team Worker; you’re dependable and reliable. You’re interested in collaborating with and supporting others.
Area of Responsibilities
- Assist in environmental programme development and review to support Best Available Techniques (BAT) studies and statements
- Development of in field sampling capabilities
- Support the bulk waste characterisation programmes major projects, e.g. planning and scheduling programme elements, managing tasking (customer agreements) and sentencing waste using statistical reporting
- Data manipulation and upload to support permit compliance
- Overview of laboratory analytical processes
- A market leading contributory pension scheme
- Generous holiday entitlement
- Excellent work/life balance
- 9-day working fortnight. This means you get every other Friday off work.
- Access to employee benefits portal – everyday savings on leisure, hospitality and retail.