Graduate Commercial Property Development
HS2 (High Speed Two) Ltd
Dec 26, 2022
💼 Graduate Job
Applications are closed
Business, Operations & Strategy•Birmingham
- At HS2 we offer a two-year rotational graduate programme, providing you with the opportunity to stretch and challenge yourself across various programme related placements. This programme is designed around enabling you to get as much experience as possible across different teams within HS2. After completion of the 2-year graduate programme graduates will be transferred into a role within the same discipline, but not necessarily the same business area.
- We have a graduate opportunity available in Birmingham which will require travel to various site locations across the HS2 line of route. Graduate opportunities will be available across a variety of HS2 teams including but not limited to those listed below. After the assessment stage, we will assign successful candidates accordingly based on business requirements.
- The Commercial Development Property Graduate will work under the supervision of a Royal Institution of Chartered Surveyors qualified, Senior Commercial Development Manager, assisting on the seven sites for the Commercial Development Team (ComDev) at Curzon Street (5 sites), Washwood Heath (2 sites) and Phase 2b (2 sites) totalling approximately 300 acres in Birmingham and Manchester.
- The role will encompass a fast-learning curve in commercial and residential property, simultaneously helping the Commercial Development team to take the development sites from the current, early, master-planning stage through internal and external governance to revenue realisation facilitating mixed use developments currently by others.
- The Commercial Development (CD) department is accountable for the identification and prioritised delivery of property development and commercialisation opportunities in, above and around HS2 stations including retail, advertising, and car parking.
- ComDev is mandated to maximise social and economic value and deliver timely commercial returns. Working with multiple government and private stakeholders, the ComDev business will deliver commercial returns whilst meeting wider regeneration objectives of the HS2 project.
- All team members within the ComDev business are responsible for delivering service excellence at all HS2 locations and optimising the commercial performance and place making at each location.
- Planning and organisational skills, with the ability to prioritise and deliver day to day tasks.
- Ability to coordinate and deliver multiple tasks and responsibilities in accordance with agreed deadlines.
- Communication skills and the ability to develop relationships with stakeholders.
- Ability to convert technical information into a format that is understandable to a variety of non-technical audiences in a persuasive and engaging way.
- Ability to present confidently
- Ability to understand complex issues to carry out problem solving.
- Ability to work collaboratively across a multidisciplinary team and with stakeholders.
- Ability to develop creative ideas to promote continuous improvement.
- Ability to apply logical thinking to operational and commercial plans.
- Minimum of 2:1 Bachelor’s degree (or equivalent) in any discipline
- IT knowledge including Word, Excel, PowerPoint or equivalent
Area of Responsibilities
Business, Operations & Strategy
- Under the guidance of the Senior Commercial Development Manager to oversee the day-to-day implementation of the legally binding arrangements entered into by HS2 at Interchange station and the adjoining Triangle site to help facilitate long term development of the area in parallel with delivery of the railway.
- Support the Senior Commercial Development Managers (SCDM) to manage various contracts. Key tasks under this role will include, but are not limited to: -
- Support delivery of the ComDev plans and annual budgets, help to produce cost, value, and risk projections to inform them, and well-structured and reasoned financial analysis and board papers in support of measuring performance of the ComDev targets against the business plans, with support from the Finance Business Partners and Delivery Team colleagues.
- Work with the team to implement the delivery of the approved project business plans, comprising: administration of contracts; monitoring and securing internal and external approvals for the preparation of the development business plans and development of masterplan options; monitoring and securing internal approvals for the preparation of any outline planning applications; agreeing any draw-down conditions for development phase overages with site purchasers and obtaining the necessary internal approvals; and monitoring the construction and sale/letting of the development phases to capture latent value .
- Monitor financial due diligence and appraisal analysis with consultants to identify individual projects and options to allow informed decision making, clearly differentiating those assets that are better to develop with third party overages and/or dispose from those to hold/invest in for income.
- Assist the SCDM to undertake 3rd party supplier management and contractor management for specialist skillsets (e.g. architects, town planning, technical, commercial, legal and property valuation advisers)
- Support in the regular interface with key stakeholders, landowners, Department for Transport (DfT), Birmingham City Council, Solihull Metropolitan Borough Council, the Manchester stakeholders & Network Rail (NR), to drive the development programme forward.
- Work on the interface with town planning specialists and ensure delivery of appropriate Local Plan lobbying, planning applications and consents that are fit for purpose and aligned with the business plan and wider strategic plans.
- Assist in the preparation of necessary plans, business cases and financial reports to support identification of suitable delivery mechanisms (e.g. disposals, revenue share and profit share mechanisms) to deliver approved property development projects subject to future governance.
- Where relevant, work closely with the appointed partners for schemes, ensuring delivery against defined contractual and business plan requirements.
- Actively promote and embed Equality Diversity and Inclusion (EDI) in all your work, and support and comply with all organisational initiatives, policies, and procedures on EDI.