Summer Science Intern - Enhancing Research Laboratory Facilities
Royal Botanic Gardens, Kew
🚀 Summer Internship
⌛ 10d left
Apply by Jun 4
- We are offering an exciting paid internship in Kew’s Science Directorate for undergraduates or recent graduates wishing to undertake a placement as part of their degree. This placement provides training in research and professional skills, as well as work experience within an internationally esteemed science and conservation organisation.
- We are offering the opportunity for two interns to work with our Science Services and Laboratories team, helping to support our research activities within the Jodrell Laboratory.
- Two interns will work alongside Kew’s Laboratory Operations team, assisting in projects vital for the smooth running of our laboratory-based services. They will also have opportunities to shadow team members in other aspects of our work to gain an insight into the range of activities involved in managing the research laboratory facilities of a public-facing organisation such as Kew.
Area of Responsibilities
- Chemical Lifecycle project: will involve working with the Laboratory Managers to survey the layout chemical stores and other laboratory hazards throughout the building then create and implement a workflow to upload the digital images and accompanying metadata into a digital asset management system.
- In-Vitro Biology project: will involve working with the in-vitro technician to organise and set up our updated culturing facilities.
- Bio Spectra Project: will involve working with the Biochemistry lab team to edit, and quality control user produced chemical spectra and cross reference to Kew’s Collections via EarthScape ICMS (Kew’s digital asset management system). Also upload images, metadata and transcriptions into the Project database to detail all the bio-compounds discovered or analysed at Kew.
- Contribute to online outreach work, with a series of posts on Twitter and an end of project blog.
- Kew Science currently supports 200 scientists, students, and volunteers to access our laboratory facilities. As part of our commitment to enable high quality science we are refreshing and expanding our laboratory services to match Kew’s evolving research requirements
- Our fantastic benefits package includes opportunities for continuous learning, a generous annual leave entitlement, flexible working to help you maintain a healthy work-life balance, an Employee Assistance Programme and other wellbeing support such as cycle to work scheme and discounted gym membership. We also offer a competitive pension, an employee discount scheme and free entry into a wide range of national museums and galleries, as well as access to our own beautiful gardens at Kew and Wakehurst.